Have you ever tried Cajun recipes in the crock pot? If not, I think you’ll really enjoy this Cajun recipe for red beans and rice. It has plenty of savory sausage in it, and by cooking it in the crock pot or slow cooker for hours, all the wonderful flavors can mingle. Serve this with a side salad and a glass of milk, and you have a complete meal!
Holle’s Cajun Red Beans and Rice
What you’ll need:
- 4 16-ounce cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 pound spicy smoked sausage
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Hot sauce, to taste (I like a lot!)
- Salt, to taste
- 4 or more cups cooked rice
Directions: Drain beans and rinse. Place in crock pot or slow cooker. Slice the sausage into ½-inch sections and add to beans.
To the pot, add broth, celery, onions, bell pepper, garlic, spices, bay leaf, hot sauce, and salt. Cover and cook on low for eight hours. Add the cooked rice and stir.