These homemade chicken wings are pretty spicy, but you can tone it down a bit by using less hot sauce in the final coat. Homemade buffalo wings are one of the easiest and most economical recipes in the USA. Making homemade wings is not rocket science, and these bbq chicken wings are so easy you will wonder why you never made them before. These can be prepared well ahead of time and even frozen in between as they need cooking twice. This will make a big batch for a party of 6 people or so. Just increase the ingredients for a larger batch if needed.
- 4 pounds chicken wings
- 2 pints cooking oil (peanut preferred)
- 8 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- Bowl of seasoned flour – 4 tablespoons of flour and 2 teaspoon salt and pepper each
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Fill a cast iron skillet about a third full of peanut oil and heat the oil.
- As the oil is heating, cut the wings into halves.
- Place the wings in the bowl with the seasoned flour and toss.
- When the oil is hot enough to sizzle as the wings are added, start frying the wings in batches until the skin is crispy. Approx 7-8 minutes.
- Place the cooked wings on a paper towel and add more oil to the skillet as needed.
- When all the wings are cooked, this next step can be left until it is time to serve the wings.
- Add the butter and hot sauce to a saucepan and melt the butter into the sauce for around 2 minutes.
- Place the wings in a bowl, pour the sauce over and toss.
- Finish the wings over a charcoal bbq or under a broiler – takes just a few minutes.
- Serve with celery sticks and a blue cheese dip.
If you have ever wondered how to make chicken wings at home, this is the easiest hot wings recipe ever. I prefer to do the final cook on a barbecue, but if you are inside or do not have one, a broiler will work just fine or even 10 minutes in a pre-heated oven.