southern food - corn salad
I love corn and practically all corn recipes – especially when they’re southern recipes. While hot dishes made with corn, like fried corn and corn casserole, are my favorites, I sometimes enjoy a cold corn salad. Corn salad is especially refreshing in the summer, but we actually eat it throughout the year. This corn salad includes southern food favorites like Vidalia onion, bell pepper, tomato, and hot peppers.
Southern Bean and Corn Salad recipe
- 3 cups frozen corn, thawed and drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1/3 cup chopped Vidalia onion
- 1/3 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced pickled jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Instructions: Combine corn, black beans, tomato, onion, bell pepper, pickled jalapeno peppers, celery, and lime juice. Toss gently.
Pour the vinegar in a small bowl and add brown sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add oil, garlic, cayenne, salt, and black pepper. Whisk to combine and add to salad. Toss the vegetables with the dressing. Cover and chill in fridge. Before serving, toss once more.