Great chili recipe!
This is one of my favorite chili recipes! I like to use diced or sliced veggies instead of chopped, making the chili “chunky.” Also, I break up some of the ground beef into small muscle fibers, while leaving some larger chunks, too. The fresh tomatoes and the pickled peppers really give this chili a wonderful flavor.
Holle’s Chunky Chili recipe
What you’ll need:
- 1 ½ pounds extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- ½ cup red bell pepper, cut into small strips
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeno rings, cut in half
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, ground
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Sour cream
Directions: Cook beef in a large Dutch oven. If the meat is super lean, you might want to start with a drizzle of oil.
When meat is partially cooked, add onions and green and red bell peppers until beef is done and veggies are soft.
Add diced tomatoes, garlic, tomato sauce, and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
Rinse and drain kidney beans and add. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally. If you want a thicker chili, remove lid and simmer until desired thickness is achieved.
Top chili with sour cream, green onions, and additional red bell pepper and pepper rings, if desired.
[phpzon asin=”B00063RWYI” country=”US” trackingid=”bestamerican-20″ templatename=”asin”]