Are you also having a cheesy, delicious love affair! If yes, then it’s not hard to guess with who. Birria tacos have made many cheat their diet for a juicy, flavorful experience. It has gained brand new fame amongst its fans since it got viral on Tiktok. People are going crazy to find the authentic flavor of birria tacos. To get the authentic taste of birria tacos, you have to enjoy the art of slow cooking. If you are here for the ultimate food experience, too, then read on to learn about the perfect cheese affair.
Things you need.
The ingredients for making birria tacos are pretty easy to find. There are always optional choices present to prepare the filling as per your taste, but here are the ingredients involved in preparing the authentic birria tacos recipe.
For making birria
- 900 g chuck beef roast ( add 400 g of ribs separately)
- Guajillo chiles
- Ancho chiles
- Morita chiles
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- Warm water for soaking
- Allspice berries
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano and Italian oregano each
- 5-6 dried bay leaves
- 1 tbsp Canola oil or as required
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tomatoes (should be quartered)
- 1 finely chopped yellow onion
- Banana leaves
For making tacos
- 500 g queso Oaxaca(shredded)
- 10-14 corn tortillas
- Sliced radish
- Pickled red onions
- Lime wedges
- Finely chopped cilantro
Let the art begin!
There are different types of fillings that people might prefer; some might even want to go vegan. While so many experiments can be done with birrio, the original and authentic taste comes from beef. Here are the steps in detail without missing even a point for preparing this flavorful recipe.
- First, you have to start with lining a parchment paper or commonly known as the baking sheet.
- Start arranging the ribs and roasted chuck beef on the parchment paper. See to it that each piece sits separately on the sheet. Once the beef is settled(pun intended), you can sprinkle salt over the surface of beef such that all the pieces have salt on their surfaces.
- After this step, try to refrigerate the pieces for at least 3-4hrs if not twelve. Although refrigerating it overnight or for more than 8 hrs makes the pieces much juicier on frying.
- Take all the three types of chiles (Morita, guajillo, and ancho) in a bowl. Pour some warm water over them and keep them soaked for some time until they start to soften. This can take anywhere between 5-8 minutes but once they soften up, remove them from the bowl. Pluck out the stem and remove the seeds from the chiles as well. Keep it aside for some time.
- Take a pan or a skillet and put it on medium heat. Once it is warm, add a cinnamon stick to it. Add allspice berries, coriander seeds, two cloves, and black pepper to it and heat them for 2-3 minutes until you can smell the fragrance.
- The spices are now toasted well, so transfer them to a grinder. Add the Mexican and Italian oregano to these spices. Before the spices are completely cold, grind them all together into fine powder. If you grind the spices while they are a little warm, the fragrance of the spices will remain intact. When added to the dish, these spices will release much more flavors than it would normally do.
- The next step involves preheating the oven. The temperature should be maintained at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You can take out the refrigerated beef for the next step. Do ensure that the pieces are dry enough. If not, then you can use paper towels or cloth to pat them dry.
- So the next time, you need a pot that has a heavy lid or a tight lid, such that the steam while cooking doesn’t escape out the dish. Put the pot on medium heat and add canola oil to it—Fry the meat from all sides. Sear the meat until it turns golden brown on all sides.
- Try to have some space between the pieces when you are frying them so that overcrowding is avoided. This way, the meat is fried properly on all sides. In work in batches wherein each batch takes about 20 minutes for the seasoned meat to get ready. Once done, you can now remove the meat and keep it aside.
- After removing the meat, if the leftover oil doesn’t look dark and burnt, you can always use it for the next step, but if it does, it is better to discard it and add fresh canola oil to the pan.
- Turn the heat on and place the pan with canola oil. Cook on medium heat. Add yellow onions and tomatoes to the oil and stir them until they start to sweat. This process can take about 5 to 7 minutes. Once done, add garlic to this mixture and stir it for another 2-3 minutes until you can smell the garlic fragrance in the mixture.
- To this mixture, add the grounded spices that were kept aside in the previous step. Stir fry them until the mixture turns aromatic. To this mixture at the chilies that were kept aside in the previous step. Try them for a minute or two, then add apple cider vinegar and water to the mixture and let it come to a boil.
- Once it starts to boil, you can turn the heat down and simmer the stew for another 30 minutes or so. This would soften the Chillies completely, and thus, you will start to thicken.
- For the next step, carefully remove the chilies from the stew and take some broth with it. Blend them completely into a fine paste. For the paste to be perfect, you can see to it that you take almost about 2 cups of broth for blending.
- After blending this into a fine paste, put the paste back into the broth and let it boil for some time. Add banana leaves on top to cover this stew and place the lid on the pot, so little to no steam escapes. Transfer it to the oven and let it cook for about one and a half hours. Now remove the stew from the oven and check the meat. If you find that the meat easily leaves the ribs, then it is done, but if you find any resistance in the meat, you need to cook it longer.
- Once you remove the stew from the oven and find that the meat looks thoroughly cooked, then remove and discard the banana leaves from the stew. Shred the cooked meat to a texture that you find apt for your taste buds.
Let the dance of tacos begin!
- For this, Put a skillet over medium heat and add a tablespoon of cannula oil to it. Hit the pan until you see the oil shimmers. Take a spoonful of broth in another pan for the next step. Take a tortilla and dip it in the warm, reserved broth of stew. The consome will add flavor to the tortilla. Take this and lay it flat in the oil of the pan.
- Heat one side of the tortilla a bit less and then turn it over. Now add one tablespoon full of queso Oaxaca to one half of the tortilla. On the other half of the tortilla, add the prepared beef ( shredded as per your choice) and shut the quesadilla from the middle. Let it sit in the oil and fry until the cheese in it starts to melt.
- Frying it takes almost about a minute or until the quesadilla is golden brown on one side. Once the side turns to the required color, flip the quesadilla, so it fries evenly on the other side as well.
- Do the same with other tortillas. Repeat until you get the number of birria you need. Serve them hot with the beef consome’ as a dip. You can add chopped radish, pickled onions, lime wedges, and finely chopped cilantro to the tacos before serving.
If you follow this taco birria recipe, you will see that this authentic dish not only looks good but tastes as good as getting a foodgasm with every bite. If you find this recipe easy enough to make you jump off the bed and start preparing it in your kitchen, then don’t stop yourself from sharing this recipe with your friends and family. Enjoy your day!